Unthinkable but true, most auto insurance buyers renewed their policy with the same company for more than four years, and practically 40% of auto insurance customers have never even compared quotes to find cheap rates. New Orleans consumers could save nearly $897 a year by just comparing rate quotes, but they don’t know how much they could save if they switched to a cheaper policy.
It takes a little time, but the best way to find more affordable Buick Verano insurance in New Orleans is to compare quotes annually from companies who sell auto insurance in Louisiana. This can be done by following these steps.
- Try to learn about the different coverages in a policy and the things you can control to prevent high rates. Many rating criteria that cause high rates such as accidents, traffic violations, and an imperfect credit rating can be controlled by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes.
- Quote rates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can give quotes from one company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agents can quote rates from multiple insurance companies. Select a company
- Compare the quotes to your current policy premium and determine if there is any savings. If you can save some money and make a switch, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Give notification to your current company to cancel your current car insurance policy and submit the signed application along with the required initial payment for the new coverage. Don’t forget to place your new certificate verifying proof of insurance in an easily accessible location in your vehicle.
An important note is to use the same liability limits and deductibles on each price quote and and to compare as many different insurance providers as possible. This provides the most accurate price comparison and a better comparison of the market.
Best companies for competitive Buick Verano insurance in Louisiana
The following companies are our best choices to provide price quotes in Louisiana. If you want the cheapest auto insurance in Louisiana, we recommend you visit several of them to get the best price comparison.
Cheap New Orleans insurance rates with discounts
Car insurance companies do not list all discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we break down both well-publicized as well as some of the hidden credits available to bring down your rates.
- Homeowners Savings – Just owning your own home can help you save on insurance since owning and maintaining a home shows financial diligence.
- Pay Early and Save – By paying your policy upfront instead of paying each month you can actually save on your bill.
- Bundle and Save – If you can bundle your auto and home insurance and insure them both with the same insurance company you could save up to 20% and get you inexpensive Buick Verano insurance in New Orleans.
- Discount for Swiching Early – A few companies allow discounts for buying a policy prior to your current Verano insurance policy expiring. Ten percent is about the average savings.
- Passive Restraints – Vehicles equipped with air bags or automatic seat belts may get savings of 20 to 30 percent.
- Theft Prevention System – Cars equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems help deter theft and will qualify for a discount on a New Orleans auto insurance quote.
- Safe Driver Discounts – Drivers without accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than drivers with accident claims.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to successfully take a driver’s education course in school or through a local driver safety program.
- Senior Citizen Rates – If you’re over the age of 55, you may receive reduced rates.
Please keep in mind that most discounts do not apply to your bottom line cost. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. So even though you would think all the discounts add up to a free policy, you won’t be that lucky. But any discount will definitely reduce the cost of your policy.
A few popular companies and some of their more popular discounts can be read below.
- State Farm includes discounts for passive restraint, good student, safe vehicle, anti-theft, multiple autos, and defensive driving training.
- Liberty Mutual policyholders can earn discounts including exclusive group savings, multi-car, newly married, multi-policy, new move discount, new graduate, and good student.
- American Family offers discounts for accident-free, good driver, bundled insurance, early bird, and air bags.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for multi-vehicle, continuous coverage, online quote discount, online signing, good student, homeowner, and multi-policy.
- Farmers Insurance may include discounts for good student, alternative fuel, teen driver, switch companies, mature driver, and distant student.
- Auto-Owners Insurance may offer discounts for good student, paid in full, multiple vehicles, air bags, and mature driver.
- SAFECO has discounts for multi-car, homeowner, anti-theft, accident prevention training, and anti-lock brakes.
If you want affordable New Orleans auto insurance quotes, ask each company how you can save money. Savings may not apply to policyholders in every state. To view insurance companies that offer discounts in Louisiana, click here.
When do I need an agent’s advice?
When quoting and choosing insurance from an agent or online, there isn’t really a cookie cutter policy. Every situation is different.
Here are some questions about coverages that could help you determine if your situation might need an agent’s assistance.
- Should I waive the damage coverage when renting a car?
- Is my babysitter covered when using my vehicle?
- Is my ex-spouse still covered by my policy?
- What states are considered no-fault?
- How do I insure my teen driver?
- When should I remove comp and collision on my Buick Verano?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form. It is quick, free and you can get the answers you need.
Local neighborhood insurance agents
Certain consumers just prefer to visit with an insurance agent and that can be a great decision Agents are very good at helping people manage risk and help you file claims. One of the great benefits of price shopping on the web is the fact that you can find better rates and also buy local. Supporting local insurance agents is important especially in New Orleans.
Once you complete this quick form, your coverage information gets sent to agents in your area who will return price quotes for your business. It’s much easier because you don’t need to even leave your home because prices are sent directly to your email. If you have a need to quote rates for a specific company, you would need to navigate to their website and fill out their quote form.
What type of New Orleans car insurance agent is right for you?
If you’re trying to find an insurance agent, it helps to know the two different types of agents and how they operate. Auto insurance policy providers can either be independent agents or exclusive agents. Both types of agents can sell and service auto insurance coverage, but it’s a good idea to understand the difference in how they write coverage because it can impact the kind of agent you use.
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies
Independent agencies can sell policies from many different companies so they can insure your vehicles with a variety of different insurance companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If your agent finds better pricing, your agent can just switch to a different company and you stay with the same agent.
If you are trying to find cheaper rates, we highly recommend that you compare quotes from at least one independent agent in order to have the best price comparison.
Listed below is a list of independent agencies in New Orleans that may be able to give you rate quotes.
Nola Insurance Agency
2646 Banks St – New Orleans, LA 70119 – (504) 822-8770 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents of this type can only provide one company’s prices and examples are Allstate, Farmers Insurance, State Farm, and AAA. They are unable to give you multiple price quotes so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive agents are highly trained on their company’s products which helps offset the inability to provide other markets.
Shown below is a short list of exclusive agents in New Orleans who can help you get comparison quotes.
Larry Talamo – State Farm Insurance Agent
6506 Spanish Fort Blvd – New Orleans, LA 70124 – (504) 282-3474 – View Map
Finding a good insurance agency is decision based upon more than just a cheap quote. Any agent in New Orleans should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Will they take your side in the event of a claim?
- Is the agent CPCU or CIC certified?
- Will the agent help in case of a claim?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
Car insurance coverages 101
Having a good grasp of car insurance aids in choosing which coverages you need and proper limits and deductibles. Policy terminology can be difficult to understand and coverage can change by endorsement.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP) – Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance reimburse you for immediate expenses like X-ray expenses, pain medications, doctor visits and hospital visits. They can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. They cover not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants as well as any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP coverage is not universally available and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM) – This protects you and your vehicle’s occupants from other drivers when they do not carry enough liability coverage. It can pay for injuries to you and your family as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Since many Louisiana drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (15/30/25 in Louisiana), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is a good idea. Frequently these coverages are set the same as your liability limits.
Comprehensive insurance – This coverage covers damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You first must pay your deductible and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things such as damage from getting keyed, rock chips in glass, hail damage and falling objects. The maximum amount your car insurance company will pay is the actual cash value, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Collision coverage – This coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. A deductible applies then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision insurance covers things like crashing into a ditch, backing into a parked car, sideswiping another vehicle, scraping a guard rail and driving through your garage door. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from vehicles that are 8 years or older. You can also increase the deductible on your Verano to save money on collision insurance.
Liability auto insurance – This coverage protects you from damage or injury you incur to a person or their property by causing an accident. This coverage protects you against other people’s claims, and doesn’t cover your own vehicle damage or injuries.
Liability coverage has three limits: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You might see liability limits of 15/30/25 which means $15,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a limit of $30,000 in injury protection per accident, and a total limit of $25,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Alternatively, you may have a combined single limit or CSL which limits claims to one amount with no separate limits for injury or property damage.
Liability can pay for claims like medical services, emergency aid and medical expenses. How much liability coverage do you need? That is up to you, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as large an amount as possible. Louisiana requires drivers to carry at least 15/30/25 but it’s recommended drivers buy higher limits.
The illustration below demonstrates why buying minimum limits may not be enough.
Don’t give up on cheaper coverage
When you buy New Orleans auto insurance online, don’t be tempted to buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are too many instances where someone sacrificed uninsured motorist or liability limits to discover at claim time that the savings was not a smart move. The aim is to buy the best coverage you can find at the best cost while not skimping on critical coverages.
A few companies do not offer the ability to get a quote online and usually these small, regional companies sell through local independent agencies. Affordable Buick Verano insurance in New Orleans can be sourced online as well as from insurance agents, and you need to price shop both to have the best chance of lowering rates.
People switch companies for a variety of reasons including being labeled a high risk driver, poor customer service, unfair underwriting practices and extreme rates for teen drivers. Regardless of your reason, switching companies is actually quite simple.
Much more information about car insurance in Louisiana is located on the following sites:
- Warning systems don’t curb driver distraction (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Who Has Cheap New Orleans Car Insurance After a Speeding Ticket? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap New Orleans Auto Insurance Quotes for 19 Year Olds? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap New Orleans Car Insurance for Veterans? (FAQ)
- Higher speed limits cause more fatalities (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Insurance losses by make and model (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Airbag FAQ (iihs.org)