It takes a few minutes, but the best way to find discount car insurance rates in New Orleans is to make a habit of regularly comparing prices from insurance carriers who sell insurance in Louisiana.
- Step 1: It will benefit you to learn about how auto insurance works and the measures you can take to prevent rate increases. Many rating factors that increase rates such as traffic violations and a bad credit rating can be controlled by paying attention to minor details.
- Step 2: Request price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give rate quotes from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agencies can quote rates from multiple insurance companies. View companies
- Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to your existing rates to see if you can save by switching companies. If you find a lower rate quote and decide to switch, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
One tip to remember is that you’ll want to compare identical coverages on each quote request and and to get price quotes from as many car insurance companies as possible. This provides a fair rate comparison and a thorough selection of prices.
It’s an obvious statement that auto insurance companies don’t want you to look for cheaper rates. Insureds who do rate comparisons will, in all likelihood, buy a different policy because of the good chance of finding a lower-cost company. A study discovered that drivers who shopped around every year saved an average of $3,500 over four years compared to people who never shopped around.
If finding the cheapest price on auto insurance is your ultimate target, then knowing how to get free comparison quotes and analyze insurance rates can help make the process easier.
Car insurance providers offering competitive prices in Louisiana
The following companies offer price comparisons in New Orleans, LA. To find the best car insurance in LA, we recommend you compare several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Check for these premium slashing discounts
Auto insurance is not cheap nor is it fun to buy but you may find discounts that could drop your premiums quite a bit. Certain credits will be shown at the time of purchase, but some need to be inquired about before you get the savings.
- Passenger Safety Discount – Cars that have air bags or motorized seat belts may get savings up to 30%.
- Defensive Driver Discounts – Taking part in a course in driver safety can save you 5% or more and make you a better driver.
- Sign Online – A few companies provide a small discount just for signing your application online.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Larger insurance companies have a break if you buy a life insurance policy as well.
- ABS Braking Discount – Cars, trucks, and SUVs with ABS and/or traction control are safer to drive and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Responsible Drivers – Drivers without accidents can save as much as half off their rates than drivers with accidents.
As is typical with insurance, most discounts do not apply to your bottom line cost. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Just because it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy.
If you would like to view providers offering auto insurance discounts in Louisiana, follow this link.
Informed Consumers Can Save Money
One of the most helpful ways to save on auto insurance is to to have a grasp of some of the elements that go into determining your auto insurance rates. If you know what controls the rates you pay, this helps enable you to make changes that may reward you with big savings.
Your credit rating is important – Your credit rating can be an important factor in determining what you pay for auto insurance. If your credit could use some work, you could be paying less to insure your Lexus GS 200t by spending a little time repairing your credit. Drivers with high credit scores tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims than drivers who have lower ratings.
Drive less and save – Driving a lot of miles annually the more you’ll pay to insure it. Almost all companies calculate prices determined by how the vehicle is used. Cars that are left in the garage get more affordable rates than those that get driven frequently. It’s always a good idea to double check that your auto insurance coverage correctly shows annual mileage. An incorrectly rated GS 200t may be costing you higher rates.
Location can affect price – Residing in areas with lower population has definite advantages when shopping for auto insurance. Less people means reduced accidents and also fewer theft and vandalism claims. People who live in big cities have more road rage incidents and longer commute times. The longer drive time statistically corresponds to a higher accident and claim rate.
Deter theft and pay less – Choosing a vehicle with anti-theft technology or alarm system can help lower your premiums. Systems that thwart thieves such as vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems all aid in stopping auto theft.
Performance affects costs – The performance of the vehicle you need to insure makes a substantial difference in determining your rates. The cheapest insurance rates are usually found on the lowest performance passenger cars, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
When do I need to have guidance from an agent?
Many people just prefer to go talk to an agent and there is nothing wrong with that. An additional benefit of comparing insurance prices online is the fact that drivers can get cheap rate quotes but also keep your business local. Supporting local agencies is important particularly in New Orleans.
By using this short form, your information is submitted to local insurance agents that can provide free New Orleans car insurance quotes for your coverage. You won’t need to find an agent since price quotes are sent to you instantly. You can get cheaper insurance rates and a licensed agent to talk to. If you wish to compare prices from a specific insurance provider, feel free to go to their quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
When looking for a local insurance agency, you must know there are a couple types of insurance agents to choose from. Insurance agencies in New Orleans can be described as either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be independent are appointed with more than one company and that is an advantage because they can write policies with a variety of different insurance companies and find you the best rates. To transfer your coverage to a different company, your agent can switch companies and you won’t have to switch agencies.
If you are comparing insurance prices, you absolutely need to get quotes from independent agents in order to compare the most rates. Most also write with additional companies that you may not be familiar with that may provide cheaper insurance rates.
Listed below are independent insurance agents in New Orleans that may be able to give comparison quotes.
- Mid-City Auto Title and Insurance
3328 Bienville St # A – New Orleans, LA 70119 – (504) 827-1845 – View Map
- Above and Beyond Insurance Agency LLC
10001 Lake Forest Blvd #315 – New Orleans, LA 70127 – (504) 383-7432 – View Map
- Nola Insurance Agency
2646 Banks St – New Orleans, LA 70119 – (504) 822-8770 – View Map
These type of agents can only write with one company and some examples include Farmers Insurance, Allstate, or State Farm. They are unable to compare other company’s rates so keep that in mind. Exclusive insurance agents are trained well on sales techniques which helps them sell on service rather than price. Some people will only choose to use an exclusive agent primarily because of the brand name and solid financial strength.
The following is a short list of exclusive insurance agents in New Orleans that can give you price quotes.
- Carl Mixon – State Farm Insurance Agent
4716 Canal St – New Orleans, LA 70119 – (504) 482-7897 – View Map
- Ben Guillory – State Farm Insurance Agent
4111 Franklin Ave – New Orleans, LA 70122 – (504) 943-4055 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Rene Manfre
13040 I- 10 Service Rd – New Orleans, LA 70128 – (504) 218-1586 – View Map
Finding the right insurance agency is decision based upon more than just the price. A good agent in New Orleans will have answers to these questions.
- Do you work with a CSR or direct with the agent?
- Do they have designations such as AIC, CPCU, or CIC?
- Do you need full coverage on every vehicle?
- Will they make sure you get an adequate claim settlement?
- Do they offer claims assistance after hours?
- Will high miles depreciate repair valuations?
One last thing to lower rates
More affordable car insurance in New Orleans is attainable from both online companies in addition to local insurance agencies, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best selection. There are still a few companies who may not provide online price quotes and many times these smaller companies prefer to sell through local independent agencies.
Drivers leave their current company for a number of reasons such as high rates after DUI convictions, extreme rates for teen drivers, poor customer service and even denial of a claim. It doesn’t matter what your reason, switching companies is less work than it seems.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, it’s very important that you do not buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In too many instances, an insured dropped full coverage and found out when filing a claim that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. The goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage at the lowest possible cost, not the least amount of coverage.
Additional detailed information can be found in these articles:
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Who Has the Cheapest New Orleans Car Insurance for College Students? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers Requiring a SR22 in New Orleans? (FAQ)
- How Much are New Orleans Car Insurance Rates for a Ford Escape? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for a Toyota Tacoma in New Orleans? (FAQ)
- How Much are New Orleans Auto Insurance Quotes for Low Income Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for a Dodge Grand Caravan in New Orleans? (FAQ)
- Neck Injury FAQ (iihs.org)
- Credit Impacts Car Insurance Rates (State Farm)
- Comprehensive Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Bodily Injury Coverage (Liberty Mutual)