We don't have to tell you that car insurance companies don't want you to look at other companies. Drivers who get comparison quotes once a year will most likely switch to a new company because there are good odds of getting low-cost coverage. Remarkably, a study showed that consumers who make a habit of shopping around saved about $3,500 over four years as compared to drivers who don't make a habit of comparing rates.
If finding the cheapest rates on car insurance is your ultimate objective, then having some knowledge of how to shop for coverages can make it simple to find affordable coverage.
It takes a few minutes, but the best way to get the cheapest Chevy Silverado insurance is to regularly compare prices from insurance carriers who provide auto insurance in New Orleans.
- First, gain an understanding of the coverage provided by your policy and the measures you can control to keep rates down. Many things that cause rate increases such as traffic violations and a not-so-good credit history can be improved by making minor changes to your lifestyle.
- Second, compare price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give prices from a single company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agents can quote prices for a wide range of insurance providers. Select a company
- Third, compare the new quotes to your current policy to see if a cheaper price is available. If you find a better price and make a switch, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Fourth, notify your company or agent to cancel your current coverage and submit a signed application and payment to the new company. Don't forget to keep your new certificate verifying proof of insurance in a readily accessible location in your vehicle.
One thing to point out is to try to compare the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on each quote request and to quote with as many companies as possible. This ensures a fair price comparison and a thorough price selection.
The are a couple different ways to get quotes from local New Orleans car insurance companies. By far the easiest way to compare rates is to jump online and get quotes. When quoting car insurance, remember that getting more free quotes will improve the odds of getting the best price.
The providers in the list below have been selected to offer price quotes in Louisiana. If your goal is to find the best car insurance in Louisiana, we recommend you compare several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Car insurance statistics and figures
The information displayed next outlines different coverage prices for Chevy Silverado models. Having a good grasp of how policy premiums are formulated can be of help when making smart choices when purchasing an insurance policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Silverado LS Regular Cab 2WD||$386||$730||$708||$42||$212||$2,078||$173|
|Silverado LS Regular Cab 4WD||$386||$730||$628||$38||$188||$1,970||$164|
|Silverado LT Regular Cab 2WD||$444||$888||$708||$42||$212||$2,294||$191|
|Silverado LT Regular Cab||$444||$888||$708||$42||$212||$2,294||$191|
|Silverado LS Extended Cab 4WD||$444||$888||$628||$38||$188||$2,186||$182|
|Silverado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$444||$888||$628||$38||$188||$2,186||$182|
|Silverado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$444||$888||$708||$42||$212||$2,294||$191|
|Silverado LS Extended Cab 2WD||$444||$888||$708||$42||$212||$2,294||$191|
|Silverado LT Crew Cab 4WD||$500||$1046||$628||$38||$188||$2,400||$200|
|Silverado LS Crew Cab 2WD||$500||$1046||$708||$42||$212||$2,508||$209|
|Silverado LS Crew Cab 4WD||$500||$1046||$628||$38||$188||$2,400||$200|
|Silverado LT Crew Cab 2WD||$500||$1046||$708||$42||$212||$2,508||$209|
|Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 2WD||$500||$1046||$708||$42||$212||$2,508||$209|
|Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 4WD||$500||$1046||$628||$38||$188||$2,400||$200|
|Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 2WD||$500||$1046||$708||$42||$212||$2,508||$209|
|Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 4WD||$500||$1046||$628||$38||$188||$2,400||$200|
|Silverado Crew Cab Hybrid 2WD||$500||$1204||$628||$38||$188||$2,558||$213|
|Silverado Crew Cab Hybrid 4WD||$558||$1204||$628||$38||$188||$2,616||$218|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Premium data assumes single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Louisiana minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, safe-driver, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and claim-free. Rate information does not factor in garaging location in New Orleans which can lower or raise rates considerably.
Violations and accidents raise rates
The chart below demonstrates how traffic citations and accidents can impact Chevy Silverado car insurance costs for different age groups of insureds. The information is based on a married male driver, comp and collision included, $500 deductibles, and no additional discounts are factored in.
It may be expensive, but it's not optional
Even though it's not necessarily cheap to insure a Chevy in New Orleans, insuring your vehicle serves several important purposes.
- Almost all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to buy specific limits of liability protection in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Louisiana these limits are 15/30/25 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your vehicle with a loan, it's most likely the lender will force you to buy insurance to guarantee payment of the loan. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the bank may buy a policy for your Chevy for a lot more money and require you to fork over much more than you were paying before.
- Auto insurance protects both your assets and your Chevy. It also can pay for medical expenses incurred in an accident. Liability insurance also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you cause an accident and are sued. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of buying auto insurance are definitely more than the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer is overpaying more than $750 every year so shop around at every renewal to make sure the price is not too high.
Take advantage of these five rate reducing discounts
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but discounts can save money and there are some available that could drop your premiums quite a bit. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied when you quote, but a few need to be inquired about before being credited.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints - Vehicles equipped with air bags or automatic seat belts may earn rate discounts of more than 20%.
- Paperless Signup - A few car insurance companies will provide an incentive simply for signing online.
- Discount for Multiple Policies - If you have multiple policies with one company they may give you a discount of at least 10 to 15 percent or more.
- Savings for New Vehicles - Insuring a vehicle that is new can be considerably cheaper because new vehicles keep occupants safer.
- Full Payment Discount - If paying your policy premium upfront instead of monthly or quarterly installments you can avoid the installment charge.
It's important to note that some credits don't apply to the entire policy premium. A few only apply to individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. Even though the math looks like you can get free auto insurance, you won't be that lucky.
The example below visualizes the comparison of Chevy Silverado premium costs with and without discounts applied to the premium. The data assumes a female driver, no claims or violations, Louisiana state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with marriage, multi-car, safe-driver, claim-free, homeowner, and multi-policy discounts applied.
Large car insurance companies and their offered discounts are outlined below.
- GEICO includes discounts for five-year accident-free, seat belt use, multi-vehicle, emergency military deployment, and military active duty.
- MetLife offers discounts including defensive driver, good student, multi-policy, claim-free, accident-free, good driver
- Progressive offers discounts for continuous coverage, multi-policy, online quote discount, good student, homeowner, and multi-vehicle.
- Travelers has savings for multi-policy, save driver, new car, hybrid/electric vehicle, early quote, and continuous insurance.
- SAFECO may offer discounts for teen safety rewards, teen safe driver, multi-car, anti-theft, drive less, and homeowner.
- AAA discounts include good driver, education and occupation, AAA membership discount, anti-theft, good student, multi-policy, and pay-in-full.
If you need the cheapest Chevrolet Silverado rate quotes, ask all companies you are considering how you can save money. A few discounts might not be offered in New Orleans. To locate companies that offer discounts in Louisiana, click this link.
Buying car insurance from New Orleans car insurance agents
Certain consumers would prefer to sit down with an agent and often times that is recommended The biggest benefit of comparing insurance prices online is you can get the best rates and still buy from a local agent.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this short form, your insurance data is instantly submitted to local insurance agents in New Orleans who will return price quotes for your business. You won't even need to leave your computer due to the fact that quote results will go to your email. You can most likely find cheaper rates AND a local agent. If you wish to get a comparison quote from a specific company, just visit that company's website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Picking the best provider requires more thought than just a cheap quote. Any agent in New Orleans should have no problem answering these questions:
- Do they see any coverage gaps in your plan?
- Does the agency provide any after hours assistance?
- How is replacement cost determined on your vehicle?
- Are aftermarket or OEM parts used to repair vehicles?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- Is the agent properly licensed in Louisiana?
Exclusive agents vs. Independent agents
If you want to use a good insurance agency, you should know the types of agencies and how they are slightly different. Agents in New Orleans may be either independent or exclusive.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive agents can only provide pricing for a single company and some examples include Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. These agents are unable to place coverage with different providers so keep that in mind. These agents are highly trained on what they offer and that enables them to sell even at higher rates. Drivers often buy insurance from these agents partially due to the prominent brand name and solid financial strength.
The following are exclusive agents in New Orleans who can help you get comparison quotes.
- Derek Morel - State Farm Insurance Agent
5555 Bullard Ave #104 - New Orleans, LA 70128 - (504) 247-9241 - View Map
- Carl Mixon - State Farm Insurance Agent
4716 Canal St - New Orleans, LA 70119 - (504) 482-7897 - View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Daniel Occhi
4006 Canal St - New Orleans, LA 70119 - (504) 517-9080 - View Map
Independent Agencies or Brokers
These type of agents do not have single company limitations so they can quote policies with a variety of different insurance companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If your premiums go up, your agent can just switch to a different company and you don't have to switch agencies. When searching for an agent, it's a good idea to get quotes from independent agents so that you can do a thorough price comparison. Most independent agents also contract with companies that do not advertise much that may provide cheaper car insurance rates.
Shown below are New Orleans independent insurance agencies that are able to give price quotes.
- Pappalardo Agency, Inc.
145 Robert E Lee Blvd #202 - New Orleans, LA 70124 - (504) 486-7441 - View Map
- Garcia Insurance Services
3815 MacArthur Blvd - New Orleans, LA 70114 - (504) 875-4077 - View Map
- Mid-City Auto Title and Insurance
3328 Bienville St # A - New Orleans, LA 70119 - (504) 827-1845 - View Map
If you get good responses to any questions you have as well as a price you're happy with, it's a good possibility that you have found a car insurance agent that is a good match to service your policy. Keep in mind you have the power to cancel coverage whenever you wish so don't assume you're contractually obligated to any particular company for a certain time period.
Auto insurance coverages
Understanding the coverages of a insurance policy can help you determine which coverages you need and the correct deductibles and limits. Insurance terms can be confusing and coverage can change by endorsement.
Comprehensive or Other Than Collision - This coverage pays for damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You need to pay your deductible first then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims such as fire damage, damage from flooding, rock chips in glass and a tree branch falling on your vehicle. The maximum amount your insurance company will pay is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider dropping full coverage.
Coverage for liability - This coverage provides protection from injuries or damage you cause to other people or property in an accident. Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You might see values of 15/30/25 which means $15,000 bodily injury coverage, $30,000 for the entire accident, and a total limit of $25,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability insurance covers claims like court costs, emergency aid, legal defense fees, structural damage and attorney fees. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is your choice, but it's cheap coverage so purchase as large an amount as possible. Louisiana requires drivers to carry at least 15/30/25 but it's recommended drivers buy more liability than the minimum.
The chart below shows why buying low liability limits may not be enough.
Collision coverage - Collision coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage from colliding with another car or object. You first must pay a deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision insurance covers things like colliding with another moving vehicle, sideswiping another vehicle, backing into a parked car and hitting a parking meter. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from vehicles that are 8 years or older. It's also possible to raise the deductible on your Silverado in order to get cheaper collision rates.
UM/UIM Coverage - Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage protects you and your vehicle's occupants when other motorists are uninsured or don't have enough coverage. It can pay for medical payments for you and your occupants and damage to your Chevy Silverado.
Since a lot of drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (15/30/25), their limits can quickly be used up. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family.
Medical costs insurance - Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance pay for immediate expenses for chiropractic care, ambulance fees, funeral costs and pain medications. They are often utilized in addition to your health insurance plan or if there is no health insurance coverage. Medical payments and PIP cover you and your occupants in addition to if you are hit as a while walking down the street. Personal Injury Protection is not available in all states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Louisiana car insurance company ratings
Selecting a high-quality insurance provider can be difficult considering how many companies are available to choose from in Louisiana. The company ratings displayed below may help you pick which car insurance companies to look at comparing rates with.
|Company||Value||Customer Service||Claims||Customer Satisfaction||A.M Best Rating||Overall Score|
|Compare Rates Now Go|
Data Source: Insure.com Best Car Insurance Companies
Persistent drivers can save
Low-cost Chevy Silverado insurance in New Orleans can be sourced online and with local New Orleans insurance agents, so you should compare both to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance companies may not have the ability to get a quote online and usually these small insurance companies prefer to sell through independent agents.
We just covered a lot of techniques to reduce Chevy Silverado insurance prices online in New Orleans. The key concept to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the higher your chance of finding affordable New Orleans auto insurance quotes. You may even discover the biggest savings come from the least-expected company.
People who switch companies do it for many reasons like delays in responding to claim requests, high rates after DUI convictions, policy cancellation or policy non-renewal. Regardless of your reason, finding a great new company can be easy and end up saving you some money.
Additional information can be found on the following sites:
- Think You're a Safe Driver? (State Farm)
- Who Has the Cheapest New Orleans Car Insurance for College Students? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes for High Risk Drivers in New Orleans? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Active Military in New Orleans? (FAQ)
- Protect Yourself Against Auto Theft (Insurance Information Institute)
- Five Mistakes to Avoid (Insurance Information Institute)