Sad but true, most consumers in Louisiana have bought auto insurance from the same company for a minimum of four years, and almost half have never taken the time to shop around. Consumers in America can save 46.5% each year by just comparing quotes, but they underestimate how much money they would save if they just switched companies.
Really, the only way to find cheaper quotes for BMW X1 insurance in New Orleans is to compare prices regularly from insurers who sell insurance in Louisiana. Prices can be compared by completing these steps.
- Read and learn about policy coverages and the factors you can control to prevent high rates. Many things that result in higher prices such as tickets, at-fault accidents, and a not-so-good credit score can be rectified by making minor changes in your lifestyle. Read the full article for tips to get low prices and find overlooked discounts.
- Request rate estimates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can provide rates from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide price quotes for many different companies.
- Compare the price quotes to your existing policy to see if you can save by switching companies. If you can save some money and decide to switch, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
- Notify your company or agent of your decision to cancel the current policy. Submit a completed policy application and payment to your new insurance company. Don’t forget to put the new proof of insurance paperwork along with the vehicle’s registration papers.
One piece of advice is to use the same level of coverage on every quote request and and to get prices from all possible companies. Doing this helps ensure a fair price comparison and a better comparison of the market.
The most recommended method to get policy rate comparisons for BMW X1 insurance in New Orleans is to know the trick most of the larger companies pay for the opportunity to give rate comparisons. The only thing you need to do is provide a little information like if you require a SR-22, how many miles driven, how much coverage you want, and whether you are married. Your details is then sent to many different companies and you receive quotes very quickly.
To compare multiple company lower-cost BMW X1 insurance rates now, click here and complete the form.
The companies shown below are ready to provide price quotes in Louisiana. If you want to find cheap car insurance in LA, it’s a good idea that you compare several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Insuring your BMW vehicle just makes sense
Even though it’s not necessarily cheap to insure a BMW in New Orleans, paying for car insurance serves an important purpose.
- The majority of states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy a specific minimum amount of liability insurance in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Louisiana these limits are 15/30/25 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a lienholder, it’s guaranteed your bank will force you to have full coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If you let the policy lapse, the bank may insure your BMW at an extremely high rate and force you to pay the higher premium.
- Insurance safeguards both your BMW X1 and your personal assets. Insurance will also pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, will also pay to defend you if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of insuring your car are without a doubt worth the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. The average driver in Louisiana overpays as much as $825 a year so you should quote rates at least once a year to make sure the price is not too high.
Auto insurance specifics
Learning about specific coverages of your policy aids in choosing the right coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. The terms used in a policy can be ambiguous and reading a policy is terribly boring.
Auto liability – Liability insurance will cover damage that occurs to other people or property in an accident. It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. You might see liability limits of 15/30/25 which means $15,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, $30,000 for the entire accident, and property damage coverage for $25,000.
Liability insurance covers things like repair bills for other people’s vehicles, funeral expenses and legal defense fees. How much coverage you buy is a personal decision, but consider buying as high a limit as you can afford. Louisiana state law requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/25 but you should consider buying more liability than the minimum.
The next chart shows why the minimum limit may not be adequate.
Comprehensive coverages – Comprehensive insurance coverage pays for damage from a wide range of events other than collision. A deductible will apply then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims such as rock chips in glass, hail damage, hitting a bird, fire damage and a tree branch falling on your vehicle. The maximum amount a auto insurance company will pay at claim time is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle’s value is low it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Collision coverage – Collision coverage pays for damage to your X1 from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You first must pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision insurance covers things such as crashing into a ditch, crashing into a building, backing into a parked car and sustaining damage from a pot hole. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider dropping it from lower value vehicles. It’s also possible to increase the deductible on your X1 to save money on collision insurance.
Coverage for medical payments – Med pay and PIP coverage kick in for immediate expenses such as prosthetic devices, chiropractic care and hospital visits. They can be used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. It covers you and your occupants as well as any family member struck as a pedestrian. Personal Injury Protection is not available in all states and may carry a deductible
Uninsured and underinsured coverage – Your UM/UIM coverage provides protection when the “other guys” either have no liability insurance or not enough. This coverage pays for medical payments for you and your occupants as well as damage to your BMW X1.
Since many Louisiana drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (Louisiana limits are 15/30/25), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. So UM/UIM coverage is very important.