It’s amazing but the vast majority of car insurance customers have purchased from the same company for over three years, and roughly 40% of drivers have never even compared rates from other companies. New Orleans drivers can save hundreds of dollars each year just by comparing rates, but they don’t know how much they could save if they replace their high priced policy.
The preferred way to find affordable quotes for auto insurance rates in New Orleans is to start doing an annual price comparison from companies who provide car insurance in Louisiana.
- Step 1: Read and learn about auto insurance and the changes you can make to prevent high rates. Many rating factors that cause rate increases like speeding tickets, careless driving and an unacceptable credit history can be controlled by paying attention to minor details. Keep reading for instructions to get cheaper rates and find possible discounts that are available.
- Step 2: Request rate estimates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give rate quotes from one company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while independent agencies can quote prices from many different companies. View rates
- Step 3: Compare the price quotes to your current policy premium and determine if cheaper Golf SportWagen coverage is available in New Orleans. If you can save money and buy the policy, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
An essential thing to point out is to make sure you enter similar deductibles and liability limits on every quote request and and to get prices from as many car insurance companies as possible. Doing this provides the most accurate price comparison and the best rate selection.
Auto insurance providers offering competitive prices in Louisiana
The auto insurance companies shown below are our best choices to provide quotes in Louisiana. In order to find the best cheap car insurance in New Orleans, we recommend you get prices from several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Car insurance discounts help lower rates for Volkswagen Golf SportWagen insurance in New Orleans
Companies offering auto insurance don’t necessarily list every discount available very well, so the list below contains both the well known in addition to some of the lesser obvious discounts that you can inquire about if you buy New Orleans car insurance online.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Fewer annual miles on your Volkswagen may allow you to get discounted premium rates on garaged vehicles.
- Government Employee Discount – Active or former government employment may reduce rates when you quote New Orleans car insurance depending on your company.
- Discounts for New Vehicles – Buying a new car model can save you some money since newer models are generally safer.
- Safety Course Discount – Taking time to complete a defensive driving course could cut 5% off your bill and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Cars and trucks with anti-lock braking systems can reduce accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
You can save money using discounts, but some of the credits will not apply to all coverage premiums. Most only cut individual premiums such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though it sounds like all the discounts add up to a free policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
A few of the larger companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts include:
- GEICO includes discounts for good student, seat belt use, federal employee, driver training, and emergency military deployment.
- Travelers may have discounts that include payment discounts, early quote, home ownership, new car, student away at school, save driver, and good student.
- Farm Bureau policyholders can earn discounts including youthful driver, good student, driver training, safe driver, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and 55 and retired.
- Liberty Mutual has discounts for newly married, exclusive group savings, newly retired, preferred payment discount, and teen driver discount.
- American Family offers premium reductions for multi-vehicle, accident-free, mySafetyValet, defensive driver, good driver, early bird, and air bags.
- Progressive discounts include good student, online signing, multi-policy, homeowner, online quote discount, and multi-vehicle.
Check with each insurance company how many discounts you can get. Discounts may not be available in New Orleans. To see a list of insurers that offer multiple discounts in New Orleans, click here to view.
Insurance Cost Influencing Factors
Smart consumers have a good feel for some of the elements that help calculate your policy premiums. When consumers understand what determines base rates, this allows you to make good choices that can earn you lower rates. Multiple criteria are part of the calculation when premium rates are determined. Some of the criteria are obvious like an MVR report, but others are not as apparent like your continuous coverage or how financially stable you are.
The factors shown below are a partial list of the pieces that factor into your rate level.
Does insurance coverage cost less for females? – Statistics have proven that females take fewer risks when driving. The data does not necessarily mean that males are worse at driving than females. Males and females get in at-fault accidents in similar percentages, but males have costlier accidents. Not only that, but men also get cited for more serious violations like DWI (DUI) or reckless driving. Teenage male drivers have the highest risk to insure and therefore pay the highest rates.
High car insurance claims frequency drives up premiums – Auto insurance companies in Louisiana generally give the lowest premiums to people who file claims infrequently. If you file a lot of claims you can definitely plan on either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Your car insurance is designed for claims that you cannot pay yourself.
Small coverages can add up – There are many additional coverages that you can get tricked into buying on your Golf SportWagen policy. Coverages for roadside assistance, high-cost glass coverage, and membership fees are probably not needed. They may seem like a good idea when discussing your needs, but your needs may have changed so eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
Bundle policies with the same company – The majority of insurers afford lower prices to customers who buy several policies from them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you already get this discount, drivers will still want to comparison shop to guarantee you are still saving the most.
Low stress vocation equals lower rates – Jobs like fire fighters, airline pilots, and stock brokers generally pay the highest rates because of job stress and lengthy work days. On the flip side, professions such as professors, historians and performers have lower than average premiums.
Raise your comp and collision deductibles for better premiums – Comp and collision deductibles tell how much you are required to spend if the claim is covered. Physical damage coverage, also called ‘full coverage’, covers damage that occurs to your car. Some examples of covered claims would be a windshield broken by a bird, hail damage, and damage caused by road hazards. The more expense you choose to pay out-of-pocket, the lower your rates will be.
Safer occupants lowers prices – Cars with high safety ratings are cheaper to insure. Highly rated vehicles result in less severe injuries and reduced instances of injuries means less claims paid passed on to you as lower rates.
Fast cars cost more to insure – The type of car you are insuring makes a significant difference in your car insurance bill. The lowest rates are for lower performance four cylinder passenger cars, but your final cost has many other factors.
How much auto insurance do I need?
Always remember that when buying coverage online or from an agent, there is no “perfect” insurance plan. Your financial needs are unique and your auto insurance should unique, too.
These are some specific questions may help you determine if your situation could use an agent’s help.
- How much cheaper are high deductibles?
- Am I covered if I hit a deer?
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
- Do I need special coverage while pulling a rented trailer?
- Does rental coverage apply when I am renting a car?
- What should my uninsured motorist coverage limits be in Louisiana?
- Does medical payments coverage apply to all occupants?
Don’t I need to have guidance from an insurance agent?
Many people would rather have an agent’s advice and that is just fine! One of the benefits of price shopping on the web is that you can find cheap auto insurance rates and still have a local agent.
To find an agent, once you fill out this simple form, your insurance coverage information is transmitted to agents in your area who can give free rate quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. There is no reason to leave your house because quoted prices will be sent instantly to you. You can get cheaper auto insurance rates without a big time investment. If you wish to quote rates from a specific company, feel free to go to their quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
Selecting a company shouldn’t rely on just a cheap price. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- Is there any savings for paying the full premium?
- Are claims handled at the agent’s location?
- Will high miles depreciate repair valuations?
- Which insurance companies are they affiliated with?
- Can you choose the body shop in case repairs are needed?
- Does the agency provide any after hours assistance?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- How much will you save each year by using a higher deductible?
Once you have good feedback to any questions you have and locked in a price quote, you may have just found an provider that meets your needs to adequately provide auto insurance. Just remember you are entitled to cancel coverage any time you want so never assume you are locked into your new company for any length of time.
Compare rates regularly to save
More affordable insurance in New Orleans is attainable on the web and from local agencies, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some insurance companies don’t offer the ability to get quotes online and usually these regional carriers sell through independent insurance agents.
We just showed you a lot of techniques to get a better price on Volkswagen Golf SportWagen insurance in New Orleans. The key concept to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even be surprised to find that the best prices are with the smaller companies. They may have significantly lower rates on certain market segments than the large multi-state companies such as Allstate and Progressive.
Even more information can be read at these sites:
- Safety Belts FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for a Subaru Outback in New Orleans? (FAQ)
- How Much are New Orleans Car Insurance Rates for Handicapped Drivers? (FAQ)
- Determining Auto Insurance Rates (GEICO)
- Avoiding Deer Collisions (Insurance Information Institute)