If you want to save money, the best way to find low-cost prices for Lincoln Continental insurance in New Orleans is to regularly compare prices from providers who provide auto insurance in Louisiana.
- Step 1: Take a few minutes and learn about the coverage provided by your policy and the modifications you can make to keep rates down. Many factors that are responsible for high rates such as traffic tickets, fender benders, and poor credit history can be eliminated by making minor changes to your lifestyle. Later in this article we will cover more details to prevent expensive rate increases and find possible discounts that are available.
- Step 2: Compare price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only give rate quotes from a single company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while independent agents can give you price quotes from multiple companies.
- Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to your existing rates to see if a cheaper price is available. If you find a lower rate, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Step 4: Tell your current agent or company of your intention to cancel your existing policy. Submit any necessary down payment along with the completed application for your new coverage. Once the paperwork is finalized, put the certificate verifying proof of insurance in your vehicle.
A crucial key to this process is to try to compare the same level of coverage on every quote request and and to get rate quotes from as many carriers as you can. Doing this guarantees a fair price comparison and a complete selection of prices.
Astonishing but true according to a recent study, the vast majority of car insurance customers have purchased from the same company for over three years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never even compared quotes to find cheap rates. Many consumers in Louisiana can cut their rates by roughly 35% a year just by shopping around, but they won’t spend time to shop around.
If you’re already insured or want to find a cheaper company, you can use these tips to cut your premiums and possibly find even better coverage. This information will help educate you on how to get online quotes and how to save the most money. You just have to learn how to find the lowest price online.
Auto insurance discounts are available for cheaper rates
Not too many consumers would say auto insurance is affordable, but there could be significant discounts to help offset the cost. Some of these discounts will be visible when you get a quote, but some need to be manually applied in order for you to get them.
- Renewal Discounts – A few larger companies give discounts for buying a policy prior to the expiration date on your current Continental insurance policy. This can save 10% or more.
- Auto/Home Discount – If you have multiple policies with the same company you could earn a discount of as much as 10 to 15 percent.
- Multi-car Discount – Buying coverage for primary and secondary vehicles with the same company could earn a price break for each car.
- Multi-line Discount – Select insurance companies reward you with a discounted premium rate on car insurance if you buy life insurance.
- Clubs and Organizations – Being in a civic or occupational organization in New Orleans could trigger savings on your next renewal.
- Student Discounts – Maintaining excellent grades may save you up to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you up to age 25.
- Payment Discounts – By paying your policy upfront instead of paying each month you may reduce your total bill.
- College Student Discount – Youth drivers who attend college more than 100 miles from New Orleans and do not have access to a covered vehicle could get you a discount.
It’s important to note that most discounts do not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. So even though it sounds like all the discounts add up to a free policy, it’s just not the way it works.
A partial list of companies that may include these benefits are:
If you need affordable New Orleans auto insurance quotes, ask each company to apply every possible discount. Savings may not be available in New Orleans.
Car insurance specifics
Learning about specific coverages of your policy can help you determine appropriate coverage and the correct deductibles and limits. Car insurance terms can be ambiguous and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
Comprehensive (Other than Collision)
Comprehensive insurance will pay to fix damage from a wide range of events other than collision. A deductible will apply and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive can pay for things such as hitting a deer, damage from a tornado or hurricane, theft and a broken windshield. The maximum amount you’ll receive from a claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle’s value is low it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Medical expense insurance
Med pay and PIP coverage kick in for short-term medical expenses for surgery, prosthetic devices, chiropractic care, funeral costs and ambulance fees. They are often utilized in addition to your health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. It covers not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants in addition to if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP coverage is only offered in select states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Collision coverage protection
This coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from a collision with an object or car. A deductible applies then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage protects against claims like rolling your car, backing into a parked car, sideswiping another vehicle and hitting a mailbox. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so you might think about dropping it from older vehicles. Drivers also have the option to increase the deductible on your Continental to get cheaper collision coverage.
This coverage provides protection from damage that occurs to a person or their property that is your fault. This coverage protects you against other people’s claims, and does not provide coverage for your own vehicle damage or injuries.
Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have limits of 15/30/25 which stand for a limit of $15,000 per injured person, a per accident bodily injury limit of $30,000, and property damage coverage for $25,000.
Liability coverage protects against things like pain and suffering, loss of income, repair bills for other people’s vehicles and legal defense fees. How much liability should you purchase? That is a decision to put some thought into, but consider buying as much as you can afford. Louisiana state law requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/25 but drivers should carry better liability coverage.
The illustration below shows why the minimum limit may not provide adequate coverage.
Protection from uninsured/underinsured drivers
This gives you protection from other drivers when they either have no liability insurance or not enough. Covered losses include injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants and damage to your Lincoln Continental.
Since many Louisiana drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (which is 15/30/25), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is important protection for you and your family.
What is the best car insurance company in New Orleans?
Ending up with the top car insurance provider can be rather challenging considering how many companies there are to choose from in New Orleans. The company rank data in the lists below could help you pick which coverage providers you want to consider shopping your coverage with.
Top 10 New Orleans Car Insurance Companies Overall
- Mercury Insurance
- AAA Insurance
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- Safeco Insurance
Be persistent and save
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, don’t be tempted to buy poor coverage just to save money. There have been many situations where an accident victim reduced liability limits or collision coverage only to find out they didn’t have enough coverage. Your goal is to buy the best coverage you can find at the best price while still protecting your assets.
Consumers who switch companies do it for a variety of reasons including being labeled a high risk driver, extreme rates for teen drivers, delays in paying claims and even not issuing a premium refund. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding a new company can be easier than you think.
The cheapest Lincoln Continental insurance in New Orleans is possible both online and from local agencies, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best selection. Some insurance companies don’t offer online quoting and many times these regional insurance providers only sell coverage through independent agents.
More learning opportunities
- Think You’re a Safe Driver? (State Farm)
- How Much is New Orleans Car Insurance for a 20 Year Old Female? (FAQ)
- How Much is New Orleans Auto Insurance for a Jeep Wrangler? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest New Orleans Auto Insurance Quotes for Business Use? (FAQ)
- How Much are New Orleans Auto Insurance Quotes for Low Income Drivers? (FAQ)
- Protecting Teens from Drunk Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- Five Mistakes to Avoid (Insurance Information Institute)
- Side airbags reduce rollover fatalities (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)