The most effective way to save on car insurance rates is to make a habit of regularly comparing prices from different companies who provide auto insurance in New Orleans.
- It will benefit you to learn about the different coverages in a policy and the changes you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating criteria that increase rates like traffic tickets, fender benders, and poor credit history can be remedied by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility. Later in this article we will cover the details to find cheap rates and get bigger discounts that may have been overlooked.
- Request price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give prices from a single company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agents can provide prices from many different companies. Compare rates
- Compare the new rate quotes to your current policy premium and determine if there is any savings. If you find better rates and switch companies, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
- Provide proper notification to your current company of your decision to cancel your current car insurance policy and submit a down payment and signed policy application to the new company. Make sure you store the proof of insurance paperwork along with the vehicle’s registration papers.
An essential thing to point out is to make sure you’re comparing identical limits and deductibles on every quote request and and to get price estimates from as many auto insurance providers as possible. This enables a fair price comparison and the best price selection.
We don’t have to tell you that car insurance companies don’t want customers comparing rates. Drivers who get price comparisons are likely to switch companies because the odds are good of finding discount prices. Remarkably, a study showed that drivers who routinely compared rates saved on average $3,450 over four years as compared to drivers who never shopped for cheaper rates.
If finding the cheapest rates on Mini Cooper insurance is why you’re reading this, then having a grasp of the best way to quote and compare insurance rates can help simplify the process.
Do you qualify for discounts?
Insuring your fleet can be pricey, but you can get discounts that you may not even be aware of. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically at the time of quoting, but once in a while a discount must be specifically requested before they will apply.
- Discount for Home Ownership – Owning a house in New Orleans can help you save on car insurance due to the fact that maintaining a home requires a higher level of personal finance.
- Early Switch Discount – Some insurance companies provide a discount for buying a new policy prior to your current Cooper insurance policy expiration. It’s a savings of about 10%.
- Responsible Driver Discounts – Safe drivers could pay up to 40% less than drivers with accidents.
- Multi-car Discount – Purchasing coverage when you have more than one vehicle on the same car insurance policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Government Employee Discount – Federal government employees could provide a small rate reduction but check with your company.
- Auto/Life Discount – Not every insurance company offers life insurance, but if they do you may earn a lower premium rate if you buy a life insurance policy as well.
- Discount for Passive Restraints – Cars that have air bags or automatic seat belts could see savings of more than 20%.
- Policy Bundle Discount – If you have multiple policies with the same insurance company they may give you a discount of at least 10% off all policies.
- Theft Prevention System – Cars, trucks, and SUVs optioned with advanced anti-theft systems prevent vehicle theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Professional Organizations – Participating in specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations is a simple method to lower premiums on your next car insurance statement.
It’s important to understand that many deductions do not apply to the whole policy. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. Even though the math looks like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, it’s just not the way it works.
The information below illustrates the difference between Mini Cooper insurance rates with and without some available policy discounts. Data assumes a female driver, no tickets, no at-fault accidents, Louisiana state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-policy, multi-car, homeowner, safe-driver, marriage, and claim-free discounts applied.
A few popular companies and some of their more popular discounts are:
- 21st Century policyholders can earn discounts including anti-lock brakes, teen driver, good student, air bags, and driver training.
- State Farm may have discounts that include Drive Safe & Save, Steer Clear safe driver discount, multiple policy, good driver, student away at school, safe vehicle, and passive restraint.
- AAA has savings for AAA membership discount, good driver, multi-car, pay-in-full, and anti-theft.
- Liberty Mutual may include discounts for new move discount, exclusive group savings, safety features, newly retired, multi-car, teen driver discount, and multi-policy.
- Progressive includes discounts for online signing, homeowner, good student, online quote discount, and multi-vehicle.
If you are trying to find affordable New Orleans auto insurance quotes, ask every prospective company which credits you are entitled to. Discounts may not be offered in your state.
Just remember that more quotes helps improve the odds of finding a lower rate than you’re paying now.
The companies in the list below have been selected to offer free rate quotes in New Orleans, LA. To get cheap car insurance in New Orleans, it’s a good idea that you visit two to three different companies in order to get a fair rate comparison.
The rate information shown next outlines different insurance costs for Mini Cooper models. Having knowledge of how insurance premiums are calculated can be of help when making smart choices when comparing insurance rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Cooper 2-Dr Hatchback||$344||$708||$414||$24||$124||$1,614||$135|
|Cooper 2-Dr Convertible||$344||$708||$322||$20||$96||$1,490||$124|
|Cooper S 2-Dr Hatchback||$344||$834||$414||$24||$124||$1,740||$145|
|Cooper S 2-Dr Convertible||$388||$834||$322||$20||$96||$1,660||$138|
|Cooper John Cooper Works 2-Dr Hatchback||$388||$834||$414||$24||$124||$1,784||$149|
|Cooper John Cooper Works 2-Dr Convertible||$432||$960||$322||$20||$96||$1,830||$153|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data assumes married female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Louisiana minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, safe-driver, multi-policy, homeowner, and claim-free. Information does not factor in specific garaging location which can alter price quotes significantly.
How Your Cooper Insurance Premiums are Determined
Lots of things are taken into consideration when you get your auto insurance bill. Some factors are common sense such as traffic violations, although some other factors are not as apparent like your continuous coverage or your commute time.
The factors shown below are some of the most rate-impacting factors utilized by car insurance companies to help set your rates.
Why do you need liability insurance? – Liability insurance provides coverage in the event that a court rules you are at fault for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. Liability provides for a legal defense which can be incredibly expensive. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap when compared to the cost of physical damage coverage, so drivers should make sure they buy enough to cover all assets.
Better prices with anti-theft devices – Choosing to buy a car that has a built-in theft deterrent system can help lower your premiums. Theft deterrent systems like LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system all hinder your car from being stolen.
Men are more aggressive – The statistics show that women are safer drivers than men. The data does not necessarily mean that females are better drivers. They both have fender benders at about the same rate, but the male of the species get into accidents with more damage. Not only that, but men also get more serious tickets such as reckless driving. Young males cause the most accidents and therefore are the most expensive to insure.
The example below shows the comparison of Mini Cooper auto insurance costs for male and female drivers. The information is based on a clean driving record, no claims, full physical damage coverage, $250 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are factored in.
Traffic violations are costly – Your driving citation history impacts your car insurance rates tremendously. Drivers who don’t get tickets get better rates compared to bad drivers. Having just one moving violation can increase rates forty percent or more. Drivers with multiple violations like hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions are required to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with their state motor vehicle department in order to legally drive.
The illustration below demonstrates how traffic citations and accidents increase Mini Cooper premium costs for each different age group. The rate quotes are based on a married female driver, full physical damage coverage, $1,000 deductibles, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Loss probability for a Mini Cooper – Insurance companies include the past claim history for a vehicle when they calculate premium rates for each model. Vehicles that tend to have higher loss trends will have a higher cost to insure. The table below demonstrates the collected loss data for Mini Cooper vehicles.
For each policy coverage, the loss probability for all vehicles, regardless of make or model, equals 100. Percentages below 100 indicate a favorable loss history, while numbers that are greater than 100 indicate more frequent losses or a tendency for claims to be larger.
|Vehicle Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Mini Cooper Convertible||80||72||100||57|
|Mini Cooper Coupe||72||60|
|Mini Cooper Roadster Convertible||57||50||78|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics from IIHS.org for 2013-2015 Model Years
Buying from auto insurance agents
A lot of people would rather visit with an insurance agent and that is just fine! One of the great benefits of getting online price quotes is the fact that drivers can get the lowest rates but also keep your business local.
By using this simple form, your insurance data is instantly submitted to agents in your area who will give competitive quotes to get your business. There is no need to contact any insurance agencies because prices are sent to you instantly. You can find better rates without requiring a lot of work. If for some reason you want to get a price quote from a specific insurance company, you can always visit that company’s website to submit a rate quote request.
Choosing the best provider requires you to look at more than just a low price. A good agent in New Orleans will have answers to these questions.
- How much can you save by raising your physical damage deductibles?
- Is the agency active in community causes in New Orleans?
- Are all drivers listed on the coverage quote?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage in New Orleans?
- Will high miles depreciate repair valuations?
- Are they able to provide referrals?
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
What types of car insurance agents are in New Orleans?
If you want a reliable agent, there are a couple of types of agencies that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Insurance agencies in New Orleans are considered either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive).
Agents in the exclusive channel are contracted to one company and some examples include American Family, State Farm, and AAA. Exclusive agencies are unable to give you multiple price quotes so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. Exclusive agents are well schooled on their products and sales techniques which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Consumers often choose to use a exclusive agent mainly due to the brand name and strong financial ratings.
Listed below is a list of exclusive insurance agents in New Orleans willing to provide comparison quotes.
- Reggie Glass – State Farm Insurance Agent
3800 Elysian Fields Ave – New Orleans, LA 70122 – (504) 944-4444 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Paul Scaffidi
720 Harrison Ave c – New Orleans, LA 70124 – (504) 822-8007 – View Map
- State Farm: Luke Delouise
6262 Pontchartrain Blvd – New Orleans, LA 70124 – (504) 486-7525 – View Map
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent insurance agents often have many company appointments and that allows them to write policies with any number of different companies and get you the best rates possible. If your premiums go up, they simply move your policy to a different company and you don’t have to do anything.
When comparing insurance rates, you should always include price quotes from at least one independent agent so that you can do a thorough price comparison. Many write coverage with companies you’ve never heard of that can offer cheaper rates than bigger companies.
The following are independent agencies in New Orleans who can help you get price quotes.
- Southern Insurance Agency, LLC
725 Magazine St E – New Orleans, LA 70130 – (504) 528-9242 – View Map
- Nola Insurance Agency
2646 Banks St – New Orleans, LA 70119 – (504) 822-8770 – View Map
- Whitney Insurance Agency
650 Poydras St Suite 1500 – New Orleans, LA 70130 – (504) 581-5353 – View Map
Insurance does more than just protect your car
Despite the high insurance cost for a Mini Cooper in New Orleans, insurance is required in Louisiana but it also protects you in many ways.
- Most states have mandatory insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability insurance coverage if you drive a vehicle. In Louisiana these limits are 15/30/25 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your Mini, more than likely the lender will stipulate that you buy full coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the bank may insure your Mini for a much higher rate and force you to reimburse them the higher premium.
- Insurance safeguards not only your Mini but also your financial assets. It will also provide coverage for all forms of medical expenses for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. Liability insurance will also pay to defend you in the event you are sued. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of having insurance outweigh the cost, especially with large liability claims. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer is overpaying more than $850 per year so smart consumers compare quotes once a year at a minimum to ensure rates are inline.
Best car insurance in New Orleans
Insuring your vehicle with the top car insurance provider can be rather challenging considering how many companies there are in New Orleans. The ranking data in the lists below can help you pick which car insurance companies you want to consider when comparing rate quotes.
Top 10 New Orleans Car Insurance Companies Overall
- Mercury Insurance
- AAA Insurance
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- Safeco Insurance
Do the work, save more money
We’ve covered many ideas to reduce Mini Cooper insurance prices online in New Orleans. The key concept to understand is the more times you quote, the better your comparison will be. Consumers may even find the most savings is with some of the lesser-known companies.
When shopping online for car insurance, it’s not a good idea to reduce needed coverages to save money. There are too many instances where an insured dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits and found out when filing a claim that it was a big mistake. Your strategy should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best cost while not skimping on critical coverages.
Insureds switch companies for a number of reasons such as delays in responding to claim requests, questionable increases in premium, high prices or being labeled a high risk driver. It doesn’t matter what your reason, switching companies can be easy and end up saving you some money.
For more information, take a look at the following helpful articles:
- Young Drivers: The High Risk Years Video (iihs.org)
- How Much is New Orleans Auto Insurance for a Jeep Wrangler? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for First-time Drivers in New Orleans? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes for 17 Year Olds in New Orleans? (FAQ)
- How Much is New Orleans Auto Insurance for Retired Military? (FAQ)
- How to Avoid Common Accidents (State Farm)
- If I File a Claim will My Insurance Go Up? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Collision Coverage (Liberty Mutual)