If you want to save the most money, the best way to get discount auto insurance rates is to make a habit of regularly comparing prices from insurance carriers in New Orleans. You can compare rates by following these guidelines.
First, spend some time learning about the coverage provided by your policy and the factors you can control to keep rates in check. Many factors that drive up the price such as at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, and a negative credit rating can be rectified by paying attention to minor details. This article gives additional tips to prevent high rates and find possible discounts that are available.
Second, compare rates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give prices from one company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while independent agencies can quote rates for many different companies.
Third, compare the new quotes to your existing coverage and see if there is a cheaper rate in New Orleans. If you can save some money and make a switch, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
Fourth, provide proper notification to your current company to cancel your current policy and submit the application along with any required down payment to the new insurer. Immediately keep your new certificate of insurance with your vehicle’s registration.
The most important part of shopping around is to try to use the same deductibles and limits on every quote and and to look at every company you can. Doing this guarantees a level playing field and a complete price analysis.
Unbelievable but true according to a study a large majority of insurance policyholders in Louisiana have stayed with the same insurance company for at least four years, and 38% of drivers have never even shopped around for lower-cost coverage. Many drivers in America could save almost 47% a year by just comparing quotes, but they don’t want to spend time to shop around.
If you already have coverage or need a new policy, you can use these tips to lower your rates and possibly find even better coverage. These tips will introduce you to the most effective ways to compare rates and how you can save the most money. Comparison shoppers only need to know the proper methods to compare rate quotes instantly.
Best companies for affordable Pontiac G8 insurance in Louisiana
The companies shown below provide quotes in Louisiana. If you want to find cheap car insurance in Louisiana, it’s highly recommended you click on several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Get lower-cost Pontiac G8 insurance in New Orleans with discounts
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but there are discounts available that you may not even be aware of. Some trigger automatically when you complete an application, but once in a while a discount must be requested specifically prior to getting the savings.
- Life Insurance Discount – If the company offers life insurance, you could get better rates if you take out life insurance.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts – Drivers who insure more than one vehicle on one policy can get a discount for every vehicle.
- ABS Brakes – Cars with ABS braking systems or traction control are safer to drive so companies give up to a 10% discount.
- Defensive Driver Discounts – Passing a defensive driver class may get you a small discount and also improve your driving technique.
- Telematics Data Discounts – Drivers who elect to allow their insurance company to analyze where and when they drive by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as Allstate’s Drivewise and State Farm’s In-Drive system could see a rate decrease if they have good driving habits.
- Theft Prevention System – Anti-theft and alarm system equipped vehicles are stolen less frequently and earn discounts up to 10% off your New Orleans auto insurance quote.
- Good Grades Discount – Maintaining excellent grades can get you a discount of up to 25%. This discount can apply up to age 25.
Discounts reduce rates, but you should keep in mind that most credits do not apply to your bottom line cost. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as collision or personal injury protection. If you do the math and it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, you aren’t that lucky.
Companies and some of their more popular discounts are outlined below.
- State Farm has savings for driver’s education, student away at school, accident-free, Drive Safe & Save, and good student.
- Progressive includes discounts for multi-vehicle, good student, continuous coverage, multi-policy, homeowner, online signing, and online quote discount.
- Travelers discounts include save driver, driver training, IntelliDrive, good student, early quote, and hybrid/electric vehicle.
- American Family offers discounts for early bird, Steer into Savings, accident-free, TimeAway discount, and air bags.
- Liberty Mutual may have discounts that include new move discount, newly married, teen driver discount, newly retired, new graduate, multi-car, and good student.
If you need lower rates, check with every company how many discounts you can get. Some discounts listed above may not be offered in your state. To view insurers with discount insurance rates in New Orleans, follow this link.
Compare prices but still have a local New Orleans insurance agent
A small number of people just prefer to have an agent’s advice and we recommend doing that Most agents are very good at helping people manage risk and help you file claims. One of the great benefits of comparing rate quotes online is the fact that you can find lower car insurance rates and still have a local agent. Putting coverage with small agencies is important particularly in New Orleans.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this form (opens in new window), your information is instantly submitted to agents in your area who want to provide quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It’s much easier because you don’t need to contact an agency since rate quotes are delivered immediately to you. If for some reason you want to quote rates from a particular provider, you just need to navigate to their website and fill out the quote form the provide.
When finding a good New Orleans insurance agent, it’s important to understand the types of insurance agents that you can choose from. Agents in New Orleans can be classified as either independent or exclusive. Both can write auto insurance policies, but it is a good idea to know the subtle differences because it can influence buying decisions.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be independent are normally appointed by many insurers and that enables them to quote your coverage through lots of different companies and find the cheapest auto insurance rates. If your agent finds better pricing, they simply switch companies in-house which requires no work on your part. When shopping rates, it’s recommended you contact at a minimum one independent agency for maximum quote selection. Many can place coverage with smaller mutual companies which may provide better rates.
The following are New Orleans independent insurance agents that may be able to give rate quotes.
- Robert Sheard Insurance
1601 Gordon St – New Orleans, LA 70117 – (504) 947-3044 – View Map
- Southern Insurance Agency, LLC
725 Magazine St E – New Orleans, LA 70130 – (504) 528-9242 – View Map
- USAgencies Insurance
6003 Bullard Ave #6 – New Orleans, LA 70128 – (504) 517-8884 – View Map
Exclusive insurance agents can usually just insure with one company and examples are American Family, State Farm, and AAA. Exclusive agents are unable to provide prices from multiple companies so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive insurance agents are highly trained in insurance sales which can be an advantage. Consumers often use the same agent mostly because of high brand loyalty and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
Listed below is a short list of exclusive agencies in New Orleans that can give you rate quotes.
- Carl Mixon – State Farm Insurance Agent
4716 Canal St – New Orleans, LA 70119 – (504) 482-7897 – View Map
- Larry Talamo – State Farm Insurance Agent
6506 Spanish Fort Blvd – New Orleans, LA 70124 – (504) 282-3474 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Paul Scaffidi
720 Harrison Ave c – New Orleans, LA 70124 – (504) 822-8007 – View Map
Choosing an car insurance agent shouldn’t rely on just a cheap price quote. Any agent in New Orleans should be willing to answer these questions.
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in Louisiana?
- Who are their largest clients?
- Are they able to provide referrals?
- If independent agents, which companies do they recommend?
- What is the financial rating for the quoted company?
- Is there any savings for paying the full premium?
- Will the agent or a CSR service your policy?
You may need specialized car insurance coverage
When quoting and choosing insurance from an agent or online, there really isn’t a “perfect” insurance plan. Everyone’s situation is unique.
These are some specific questions could help you determine whether your personal situation may require specific advice.
- Do I get a pro-rated refund if I cancel my policy early?
- Does my policy cover me if I wreck while driving under the influence?
- If I use my vehicle for business use is it covered?
- Does my Pontiac G8 need full coverage?
- Is rental equipment covered for theft or damage?
- What are good deductibles for a Pontiac G8?
- Is my business laptop covered if it gets stolen from my vehicle?
- How long can I keep a teen driver on my policy?
If you’re not sure about those questions, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form. It only takes a few minutes and can provide invaluable advice.
Auto insurance coverage information
Having a good grasp of your policy can be of help when determining the best coverages and proper limits and deductibles. The coverage terms in a policy can be ambiguous and nobody wants to actually read their policy.
Medical costs insurance
Med pay and PIP coverage kick in for immediate expenses for dental work, EMT expenses and pain medications. They are used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance plan or if you are not covered by health insurance. They cover all vehicle occupants in addition to getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP coverage is only offered in select states and may carry a deductible
Comprehensive or Other Than Collision
This coverage pays for damage from a wide range of events other than collision. A deductible will apply and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for things such as hail damage, a broken windshield and fire damage. The maximum amount your car insurance company will pay is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle’s value is low consider dropping full coverage.
This coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants when the “other guys” are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. Covered claims include hospital bills for your injuries as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Due to the fact that many Louisiana drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (Louisiana limits are 15/30/25), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is very important. Normally these coverages are similar to your liability insurance amounts.
This coverage provides protection from damage or injury you incur to people or other property in an accident. This coverage protects you against claims from other people, and does not provide coverage for damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You commonly see limits of 15/30/25 which stand for $15,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, $30,000 for the entire accident, and a limit of $25,000 paid for damaged property. Occasionally you may see one limit called combined single limit (CSL) that pays claims from the same limit with no separate limits for injury or property damage.
Liability can pay for things such as loss of income, funeral expenses and court costs. How much coverage you buy is your choice, but buy as much as you can afford. Louisiana state minimum liability requirements are 15/30/25 but it’s recommended drivers buy more liability than the minimum.
The next chart shows why buying low liability limits may not be high enough to adequately cover claims.
Collision coverage protection
Collision coverage covers damage to your G8 from colliding with another car or object. You have to pay a deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage protects against things such as sideswiping another vehicle, crashing into a building, damaging your car on a curb and driving through your garage door. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so you might think about dropping it from lower value vehicles. Another option is to bump up the deductible on your G8 in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Don’t give up on cheaper coverage
Cost effective Pontiac G8 insurance can be bought both online as well as from independent agents in New Orleans, and you should compare rates from both so you have a total pricing picture. Some insurance companies may not offer the ability to get a quote online and usually these smaller providers work with local independent agencies.
We just covered some good ideas how to shop for Pontiac G8 insurance online. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the better likelihood of getting cheaper New Orleans auto insurance quotes. You may even find the lowest prices come from a small local company.
When trying to cut insurance costs, you should never buy poor coverage just to save money. In many cases, someone sacrificed liability limits or collision coverage only to discover later that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. The goal is to buy enough coverage for the lowest cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
Additional information is available below:
- How to shop for a safer car (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Who Has Cheap New Orleans Auto Insurance for High Mileage Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for Drivers Over Age 50 in New Orleans? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Rates for a Nissan Sentra in New Orleans? (FAQ)
- A Tree Fell on Your Car: Now What? (Allstate)
- Frontal Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- What is Covered by an Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Protecting Teens from Drunk Driving (Insurance Information Institute)