Sad but true, nearly 70% of customers renewed their policy with the same company for four years or more, and just under half have never compared rates to find lower-cost insurance. With the average auto insurance premium being $2,900, Louisiana drivers could save 35% every year by just comparing rate quotes, but they just assume it’s a time-consuming process to compare rates online.
The easiest way to get affordable auto insurance rates in New Orleans is to make a habit of regularly comparing prices from insurance carriers in Louisiana.
First, read about policy coverages and the things you can change to keep rates down. Many things that increase rates such as traffic tickets, fender benders, and an imperfect credit rating can be remedied by making lifestyle changes or driving safer. Keep reading for additional ideas to help find cheaper rates and get discounts that may be available to you.
Second, compare price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only quote rates from one company like GEICO and State Farm, while agents who are independent can quote prices from multiple companies.
Third, compare the new rates to the price on your current policy to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you find a better price and buy the policy, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
Fourth, give notification to your current company of your intent to cancel your current car insurance policy and submit the required down payment along with the signed application to your new agent or company. As soon as you have the new policy, put the new certificate verifying proof of insurance along with the vehicle’s registration papers.
A good piece of advice is to make sure you’re comparing the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on each price quote and and to get quotes from as many car insurance companies as possible. Doing this guarantees a level playing field and a better comparison of the market.
The quickest way to compare insurance rates in your area takes advantage of the fact most insurance companies actually pay money for the chance to compare their rates. The only thing you need to do is give the companies some data including if your license is active, your education level, if a SR-22 is needed, and how your vehicles are used. Your rating data gets sent immediately to many of the top insurers and you get price estimates instantly.
To check rates for your Volkswagen Rabbit now, click here and find out if lower rates are available in New Orleans.
The providers in the list below are ready to provide price comparisons in New Orleans, LA. If you wish to find cheap car insurance in New Orleans, LA, it’s highly recommended you get price quotes from several of them to get the most affordable price.
Why you need Volkswagen Rabbit insurance in Louisiana
Despite the potentially high cost of Volkswagen Rabbit insurance, insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
- Just about all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means state laws require a specific minimum amount of liability insurance if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In Louisiana these limits are 15/30/25 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Volkswagen Rabbit, it’s most likely the lender will require that you have physical damage coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the bank may insure your Volkswagen at a more expensive rate and make you pay for it.
- Auto insurance preserves both your Volkswagen and your assets. It will also cover hospital and medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability insurance also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If you have damage to your Volkswagen as the result of the weather or an accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of buying enough insurance greatly outweigh the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. According to a recent study, the average American driver is currently overpaying as much as $800 each year so you should quote your policy with other companies at every renewal to ensure rates are competitive.
How Insurers Determine Volkswagen Rabbit Insurance Rates
Part of the insurance buying process is learning the rating factors that go into determining your policy premiums. When consumers understand what controls the rates you pay, this enables you to make decisions that may result in better insurance rates.
The itemized list below are a few of the things used by companies to determine rates.
- Gender impacts premiums – Over the last 50 years, statistics have shown that women are safer drivers than men. It does not mean men are worse drivers. Men and women cause at-fault accidents in similar percentages, but the males tend to have more serious accidents. Men also receive more costly citations such as reckless driving.
- Lower rates with a multi-policy discount – Many insurers will award a discount to customers who buy several policies from them. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. The amount of the discounts can be 10 percent or more. Even if you qualify for this discount already, it’s in your best interest to get quotes from other companies to make sure you are getting the best deal.There is a chance you can save even more than the discount by insuring with multiple companies.
- Always keep your insurance policy in place – Having a lapse in insurance coverage is a fast way to bump up your insurance costs. And not only will your rates increase, failure to provide proof of insurance might get you fines or a revoked license. Then you may be required to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the Louisiana DMV.
- Stress out and pay more – Did you know your occupation can influence how much you pay for insurance? Occupations such as real estate brokers, police officers, and medical professionals generally pay higher rates than the rest of us due to job stress and extremely grueling work hours. On the flip side, careers like professors, students and homemakers get better rates.
- Extra coverages can add up – There are a lot of optional add-on coverages that can waste your money on your Rabbit policy. Add-on coverages like rental car coverage, towing coverage, and term life insurance may not be needed and are just wasting money. They may sound like good ideas when you first buy your policy, but your money might be better spent on other coverage so eliminate them to save money.
- Do you know your comp and collision deductibles? – Coverage for physical damage, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, insures against damage to your Volkswagen. Some examples of covered claims would be a broken windshield, hitting a deer, and rolling your vehicle. Physical damage deductibles define the amount you are required to spend if you file a covered claim. The more money you’re willing to pay, the lower your rates will be.
- Driving citations drive up prices – Careful drivers pay lower auto insurance prices than their less careful counterparts. Having just one ticket may increase your cost twenty percent or more. Drivers who have dangerous violations such as hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions may need to file a SR-22 with their state’s licensing department in order to legally drive.
- Cars with good safety ratings cost less to insure – Safe vehicles are cheaper to insure. Highly rated vehicles result in less severe injuries and reduced instances of injuries means less claims paid which can result in lower premiums.
How to know if you need help
Keep in mind that when it comes to choosing your policy for your vehicles, there isn’t really a one-size-fits-all type of policy. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
For instance, these questions may help you determine if you would benefit from professional advice.
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- Is my business laptop covered if it gets stolen from my vehicle?
- What is UM/UIM insurance?
- How can I force my company to pay a claim?
- What if a claim settlement is too low?
- Am I covered when driving on a suspended license?
- Am I covered when driving in Canada or Mexico?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions then you might want to talk to an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form.
Don’t give up on cheap coverage
When buying insurance coverage, you should never buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are too many instances where an accident victim reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits and found out when filing a claim that it was a big error on their part. Your strategy should be to find the BEST coverage for the lowest cost and still be able to protect your assets.
Drivers change insurance companies for a variety of reasons including not issuing a premium refund, poor customer service, policy cancellation or even denial of a claim. Whatever your reason, switching auto insurance companies is actually quite simple.
Cheap Volkswagen Rabbit insurance in New Orleans is definitely available on the web in addition to many New Orleans insurance agents, and you need to price shop both to have the best selection. Some insurance companies may not have the ability to get quotes online and many times these smaller providers only sell through independent insurance agencies.
More tips and info about auto insurance can be read in the articles below:
- What is Covered by an Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for First-time Drivers in New Orleans? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a Nissan Rogue in New Orleans? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for a Dodge Grand Caravan in New Orleans? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Good Students in New Orleans? (FAQ)
- Parking Tips to Reduce Door Dings (State Farm)
- Prepare your Teens for Safe Driving (InsureUonline.org)
- Steps to Take After an Auto Accident (Insurance Information Institute)